How I got a project in Labplot KDE

When the organisation names got revealed, I started digging into projects to find out which one interests me a lot. Many projects were quite interesting but my restriction was coding language. Still, I started keeping a note of all the projects which interest me with a little note on what interests me in them and what are the skills required for that particular project. After completing the list, I shifted my focus from a huge number of projects to very few (almost 50). Originally, I planned to create a ranking of some sort and then start attacking individually from the top each one of them. But fortunately, I didn't have to do that much. When I was taking a quick look at the list, I notice labplot and it seems a perfect project for me. I had used KDE desktop before and I knew how big the KDE community is. I had already done some work on data analysis before (as a course and during my last year summer internship) and the language requirement was C++ and Qt. Though Qt (more broadly I can say GUI Programming) was new to me, looking at the basic documentation, I realised it would not be much difficult as it is like C++ with extended features, also, the documentation of Qt is quite elaborated. 

Looking all this, I decided to first try my best for this project and I mailed the community about my interest in the project and why I think, I would be able to complete the project. I also told them that this will be my first contribution in open source and am looking forward to contributing in open source.  

I wasn't expecting a reply as there was too much rush. I knew the mentors would be getting too much of mails from many students. But to my surprise, I got a reply from both of my mentors (Stefan Gerlach and Alexander Semke) in a day. They welcomed me warmly to the community and also offer me help to solve junior bugs to adopt the workflow of the Labplot and to get a glimpse of the open-source community. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Days of GSoC 2019

Bonding Period

Project Proposal